Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ann Friedman-isms

Hey y'all,

Well, yesterday was a day among days. In my Vox Staff class, Ann Friedman showed up. As I silently geeked out, she set to critiquing our latest feature on grinding (yeah, like the dance). It's a wonderfully written introspective look at the gender norms and societal stereotypes that take hold amid this sexualized dance. I highly recommend it.

Anywho, now for my list of Ann Friedman pro tips on pitching, writing pie charts and how not to be a douchebag. Enjoy.

Photo Courtesy of annfriedman.com.

Q: How do you constantly come up with creative pitches? What do you do and what could you recommend?

AF: You have to read a lot. And when you read other articles, sometimes consider "why does this annoy me" or think "what's missing?" Look at who isn't getting interviewed and the conflicts apparent within the piece as well. Also, I have a extensive "Notes" page that I always update with ideas. Some of them are shit but they're still ideas that I've had. Don't forget to listen and keep your eyes open, too.

Q: How do you network without being a total douchebag?

AF: Try to think of it more as resource pooling than networking. Never underestimate personal connections or the importance of Twitter. I would never hire someone I didn't know at least digitally. Also, hang out on social media and interact in your different Internet worlds.You should operate under the assumption that there will be no mentors. If you find one, then UNICORN! It would be magic. Don't hesitate to get your friends to introduce you to people either. And when you send people emails, never ask if you can pick someone's brain. Don't pick brains. Instead, compliment them on something they've done that made you think or inspired you. They're far more likely to be interested in you if you show an interest in them first, then you're email won't go to inbox purgatory.

Q: Did the Mizzou name open doors for you?

AF: No.*

*My "oh-shit" moment of the day.

Other quips and witticisms . . .

AF: People think they know me better than they do because of the tone I use when I write. For instance, I once did a pie chart about the worst ways to be found dead. I wrote in a slice "cutting my pubs with kitchen scissors on the toilet." I've never done that though, so there. Just to clarify, I would never want to be found dead naked in bed, while eating pizza.

AF: I never Google Justin Bieber. Well, unless it's post-arrest.

AF: People binge on Twitter a lot, like its something you're supposed to do. But being on Twitter is not like going to the gym.



No comments:

Post a Comment